(Last updated on Monday, January 4, 8:30am)
The JH Libraries have resumed book returns, book pickups, and limited in-person research activities by appointment only as part of the university’s Phase 1 Return to Research plan. Read the full guidance.
Details about the health and safety guidance and operational aspects that will govern individuals returning to campus are outlined in the JHU Return to Research Guidance and the JHU Return to Campus Guidance. Additional information is available in the frequently asked questions section on the JHU Planning website.
All affiliates on campus are required to follow these personal safety practices:
- Complete a Health Check every 12 hours before arriving and while on campus. You can do this on the web or in the Health section of the Prodensity mobile app.
- Adhere to physical distancing guidelines. (Remain 6 feet apart from other individuals).
- Wear a face covering while on campus and inside campus buildings.
- Follow all signage and staff directions.
Welch Medical Library Services
- The Welch Medical Library Building is closed to visitors until further notice.
- The Welch Service Center in the Welch Library building and its on-site services will be closed until further notice.
- Electronic resources continue to be available for use.
- Requesting materials from Borrow Direct is now available (see below).
- Requests for interlibrary loan electronic articles continue to be fulfilled. Requests for physical materials may still be submitted but will only be filled if a digital copy is available.
- Course reserve requests continue be processed if there is digital content available.
- Welch staff continue to monitor and respond to chat, email, and online requests.
- Contact your informationist to schedule an online consult.
Borrow Direct service is now available with the six library partners that are ready: Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, and Penn. To use Borrow Direct, sign on using your JHED ID. Search the catalog, select a no-contact book pickup location, and place a request. The availability of requestable materials will improve as more partner libraries rejoin the lending network and make more collections available.
The service is operating under COVID-19 protocols to ensure the safe handling of library materials. Because many of the partner libraries are facing restrictions in staffing and physical access to buildings where collections are housed, turnaround times will vary. Currently, you can expect to receive materials two to three weeks after placing a request, depending on where items are coming from. Library staff will proactively review the volume of requests and adjust workflows as needed to try to improve overall turnaround time.
Book Pickup Service
As of Monday, June 29, books and other materials from the Johns Hopkins Libraries may be requested for pickup on the Homewood, East Baltimore, Washington D.C., and Applied Physics Laboratory campuses. Turnaround time for requested books may be longer than usual.
Who can request materials?
At this time, pickup service of library materials is available for the following current Johns Hopkins ID cardholders: students, faculty, and staff. Only APL staff members may pick up materials from the APL Library.
How to Request Books and Other Materials
- Log in to Catalyst, the online catalog, using your JHED credentials and search for the items you need.
- Request materials by selecting the “Request Pickup” button and indicating your preferred pick up location.
- Note that only books and other materials owned by the Johns Hopkins Libraries are eligible, as indicated by the “Request” button next to the item.
- We will find and prepare the materials for contact-free pick up.
- When your materials are ready, we will notify you by email.
Available pickup hours for Welch Medical Library
Welch Medical Library Building, East Baltimore
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 10 am – 2 pm, rear entrance (glass atrium)
Enter the library through the rear entrance opposite the Preclinical Teaching Building. Locate the bag marked with your name on a book truck parked in the vestibule and exit the library.
Returning Print Material
Fines are not being assessed on outstanding books and return dates have been extended to mid-September.
Borrowers can return print materials safely as follows:
- The self-service book drop, located at the rear entrance to Welch Medical Library building, is available 24 x 7 with limited capacity.
- On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, from 10:00am to 2:00pm, a self-service drop point is available in the glass vestibule at the rear entrance to Welch Medical Library building. Materials can be left on the marked book cart. Library staff, using safe practices, will transfer the returns to a secure area at the end of each daily shift.
- Masks and social distancing are required on campus.
- Library materials will be quarantined for 24 hours between users.
For feedback or assistance, please contact the Welch Services Center: email@example.com
Welch classes are being conducted online.
Welch informationists created a COVID-19 guide to provide timely content concerning the pandemic.
Johns Hopkins University Community Resources
What you Need to Know from Johns Hopkins Medicine
Johns Hopkins University COVID-19 Updates and Guidelines